Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Walking By Faith

Throughout my journey as a Christian I've heard a lot of people say that they walk by faith, depending on God to meet their needs and provide for them. Most of those people wouldn't have a clue how to actually walk by faith. They say they're depending on God to provide but their five and six figure bank accounts belie the statements they make with their mouths. When you are truly walking by faith, you don't know where your next meal is coming from, but you have faith that God will provide you with something to eat. You don't always know where you're going to lay your head when it comes time to sleep, but you trust that God will lead you to where you need to be.

When I moved from Shreveport, Louisiana for the last time, on 14 April 1991, I didn't know a single person in Nashville, Tennessee. I didn't have any idea about jobs in Nashville, either. Didn't have an apartment lined up, nothing. In fact, I left Shreveport with a little over $200 in my pocket, my clothes and my cat in the back end of a 1980 GMC pickup and a dream. I stepped out in faith to move to Nashville believing that's where God was leading me. When I arrived in Nashville on the 15th, I was completely lost. I didn't know one street from the next and had no clue what parts of town were good, bad or indifferent. Yet, when I saw the sign saying that I had entered into Metropolitan Nashville Davidson County, I felt like I had arrived home. I knew, somehow, deep down inside that I was meant to be in that city! And for the past 32 years 6 months and 22 days, I have remained in the metropolitan area.

It hasn't always been easy. I started out living in the back of my pickup with my cat and there have been times since when I lived in a borrowed car or in a rented room in a not so good part of town. But through it all, no matter what came my way, God provided. When I became disabled in February 1998, I was living in a very nice 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. But, being unable to work and having no income, that apartment wasn't home for long. There was another reason for my leaving when I did, but even if that hadn't happened, I would not have been able to stay in the apartment because I didn't have an income to pay the rent. For three months I lived in a borrowed car. But, God opened up doors that I didn't even know existed at the time and I've had a stable home ever since.

Life on this earth isn't always easy. Depending on God for your everything ain't always a walk in the park. But, no matter what comes your way, when you truly depend on God to provide every single thing for you, you will never be hungry and you will never be alone. He will always be right there to give you what you need. And, if you obey Him and walk in His path and will, He will provide most of your wants, as well. No, you may not have a 5 figure bank account, but you won't be in need. I will never have a 5 figure bank account because I don't believe God blesses me so that I can put it in the bank. He blesses me so that I can turn around and bless others. Most of the times I received a blessing from God it was through the hand of another Christian. Yes, there were times and there were miracles that provided for my need, but the vast majority came in the form of another human being. That's why Jesus taught us to not store up treasure on this earth. When God pours His blessings out on us, it's so that we can turn around and help others.

If you are truly going to depend on God to provide your every need, get rid of all your earthly baggage and step out in blind faith and let Him guide and provide. You will be blessed beyond all you could hope or imagine, believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment