Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Getting Offended By Someone "Preaching at You"

Over the years I've had the experience of talking with people about the Bible and about God where the person I was talking with suddenly became defensive and said something along the lines of, "stop preaching at me. I don't need you to teach me about the Bible." It hasn't happened often, but it has happened. At those times, I didn't have a clue what was going on! I was taken by surprise by their sudden attitude change and their declaration that I was preaching at them. Over the years, I began to understand, however, and it wasn't really me they were upset with. I was just the one giving the information and Holy Spirit is the one who was pricking their soul to listen up.

The person you are talking to, or the preacher who is in the pulpit, doesn't have a clue what's going on inside your heart, soul and mind. They're just speaking what God has given them to speak. If it's speaking to you in such a way that you start feeling defensive or targeted, that's not the speaker's doing, that's God's! If you feel that you are the one who is being spoken to, take that into your soul and start searching why God is giving you that message. Is there something in your life that God has been trying to bring to your attention? Is there something you have felt uneasy about? Well, God is trying to get you to listen up and follow what He's trying to teach you and go where He's trying to lead you. Don't get upset with the messenger! They are only doing what God is telling them to do, the rest is on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment