Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Hard Relationships

There is such a difference in how the world says we should live and how God wants us to live. I know most everyone understands a little bit of that statement, but for some reason even most Christians can get misled by some of the more subtle ways which are different. Take relationships for example: the world says if they are hard or you don't get complete fulfillment or joy, just walk away. If you get your feelings hurt, walk away. But God says if relationships are hard, stay. If things aren't always to your liking, stay. And we tend to follow the world's lead these days more than God's.

A little over 10 years ago, I had to change doctors because my original orthopedic surgeon semi-retired. My new surgeon was not a Christian, and in fact told me that he did not believe in God. I was upset about that and I had mentioned to the associate pastor of the church I attended that I was going to have to get a new doctor because I didn't really like the fact that my surgeon didn't believe in God. I was kind of taken aback by the pastor's reaction. But, ultimately, he asked me one question that caused me to pause: what if I were the only Jesus that surgeon would ever see? What would happen to his soul if I walked away and never allowed him to see the Jesus in me that he needed to see?

Well, I didn't change doctors; and every time I went to see that surgeon, he always did the same thing when he would first come into the room: shake my hand, shake his head and say, "I just don't see how you are still walking!" Each and every time, I would answer: "It's really very simple. I get up in the morning, throw my legs over the side of the bed, reach up and grab God's hand and put one foot in front of the other." This exchange happened every single time I would see the surgeon. For more than seven years. Then after one appointment, as he was getting ready to walk out of the exam room, the surgeon stopped, turned and looked at me and said, "I got saved last weekend."

Now, I'm not saying I'm responsible for that man being saved, but I know one thing for certain: if I had changed doctors, he may not have ever gotten saved. Because he may not have seen Jesus in anyone else at that early period of him being my doctor. But, I have been told that it wasn't what I said to people that influenced them as much as what they saw. I don't just speak the words, I try my best to live them. When they see me walking the talk, that's what makes the biggest impact. Words are great, I love them, but words by themselves are not going to change someone's life. They have to see that what you say is how you live before it makes an impact. Trust me, if I had been a foul mouthed complainer with my surgeon, he wouldn't have ever thought of giving his life to God. But because I gave praise, honor and worship to the Almighty, he knew that my salvation was more than skin deep and that it truly had been instrumental in keeping me on my feet for over 20 years after they said I'd be paralyzed and unable to walk.

I have relationships today that are not easy. I get my feelings hurt or my needs get ignored, but if I were to end those relationships how could I show those people that Jesus is real? That God can change a persons heart and life into something much better, greater and more loving? What if I am the only Jesus that person sees this week? This month? This year? Ever? If I chose to walk away, would that person ever get a chance to see Jesus in someone else's life? I have no idea! Only God knows if there is someone else in that person's life who will show Jesus to them. But, I know this: if I walk away I might be taking away their only chance to see Jesus at a time when they need it most! And I'm not willing to take that chance with their soul.

God will tell me if I ever need to walk away from a relationship and He will never tell me to do so just because a relationship isn't easy. God's relationship with mankind has never been easy, but He never walked away from us. And I, for one, am extremely grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment