Thursday, October 13, 2011

Christians & The State of America Today

I love the United States of America, deeply. I'm proud of my country. I served in the United States Air Force during the Cold War. I've fought to defend her freedoms and to ensure her standing in the world. But the United States of America is not my home.

I love my planet. I try to do what's right to ensure her continued survival. But Earth is not my home.

As I look at the state of America, today, I recognize the passing of many of the signs of the return of Christ. The United States was the first nation born on the principles of Christianity. The first country to guarantee its citizens the right to worship freely and according to their heart. Many of our laws are Biblical in nature. And it troubles me to see the direction she is heading. However, since I'm only a traveler in this land, and recognizing that these things must come to pass in order to bring about the return of Christ, I'm not alarmed. Not to sound treasonous, in the least, I actually welcome the things I see coming to pass in America. I know many Christians will be shocked to hear this confession.

But, I've had the opportunity to visit Heaven, and I am so ready to be there for eternity. It's not the beauty of Heaven that calls me. It's not the peace and tranquility and the physical feeling of love that I felt. It's not the streets of gold, the walls of jasper, the mansions that beckon me: it's the very palpable presence of God!

Jesus told us that in the last days we would be brought before councils and tribunals for our trust in His name. He told us we would suffer punishments and imprisonment for His name. Even yet today those things aren't really happening, yet, in the United States; but we are on the path for them to be a very real reality. We've entered a time when Christians in the United States are in fear of losing their jobs because of their faith. We've reached a time when we're not allowed to speak His name in any type of governmental setting. While many of my Christian brothers and sisters fight to prevent this, I welcome it. For over 200 years in this country, we did not face the same jeopardy that many Christians in this world have faced. While many have pointed to the martyrdoms that have taken place in other countries, those are not new. In many of the countries we point to martyrdom in, killing Christians has been the norm for centuries.

In the United States, which claims the highest per capita Christian population, the thought of someone being persecuted for being a Christian has been unheard of until the past few years. In order for Biblical prophecy to come to pass, things in the United States have to change. For one thing, the main deterrent to most of Israel's enemies attacking her is chiefly the United States; they know if they attack Israel they will face the full wrath and fury of the United States military. Not a single one of those nations has been willing to face that consequence.

As much as it pains me to see my country falter and fall, I know that it has to in order for the events prophesied by Daniel, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jesus and John to come to pass, the United States has to cease being a deterrent to Israel's enemies. I don't welcome the fall of my beloved country, but I do welcome the entering into the final phase of time before Christ's return. Unfortunately many Christians today feel the need to legislate the morality of those who don't believe the way they do. No laws passed by any government is going to deter people from sin. No law is going to convert anyone to Christianity. We, as Christians, have become like the Sadducees, believing the written law is the only way to govern the lives of our fellow man. We've also incorporated the oral beliefs of the Pharisees, believing the doctrines of men can bring about obedience.

No, I don't like the state of affairs that the United States of America is finding herself in, today, and the direction she's taking, but I also recognize that it must happen. We are not foremost citizens of the United States: we are foremost citizens of God's Kingdom. We're only visitors, here, just passing through. And the more I see of Biblical prophesy coming to pass, the more excited I am to see the coming of that Kingdom. I long to hear that trumpet sound and to see the eastern sky split wide open with Jesus coming in all His glory, surrounded by the heavenly host, to take His people HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment